Here is a list of web site that I feel offer valuable information on looking after aquatic creatures. It isn’t restricted to just sites that deal with the raising of Triops, as keeping aquatic animals is usually a wide reaching and enjoyable hobby.
For example at the moment I’ve got tanks with Triops, aquatic frogs, shrimps, snails and of course various tropical fish.
My hope is that if you’ve raised Triops successfully, you may want to move on and raise one of the many other aquatic creatures that are available to you from your local pet or aquarium shop.
Triops support groups
- Triops King – A well known and reputable store for Triops and other aquatic creatures.
- Aquaristika – German shop.
- Wal-Mart – US Shop. Triops packets and kits onsale in most of their stores.
Major Triops suppliers.
- Triops.com – USA retail supplier of Triops (Triops longicaudatus).
- InterPlay – UK retail supplier of Triops (Triops longicaudatus) for schools. They sell several types of kits.
- Clementoni – European supplier of Triops sets and other sciency toys.
Triop articles and some other oddities
- Little Science Books : Triops – a very unusual creature
- Wikipedia – Notostracans to give Triops their true classification.
- Microscopy – looking at Triops in close up.
- Caver.net – Story of the Tapole Shrimp
- Are Triops Martians? – a truly wacky site.
- Mydlo i powidlo – a Polish site – great photos.
- ARKive – Images of Life on Earth – Triops cancriformis.
- Blog by Skeano on Triops cancriformis at steppes of Aragon (Spain).
Online Shops or companies selling products to help you raise your aquatic animal.
- SeaChem labs – Lots of chemicals to keep your animals healthy. Excellent products with superb support. If only more aquatic treatment manufacturers were this good.
- Eheim – probably the best filtering products in the world.
- Tetra – Good range of products.
- AquaEssentials – Probably one of the best online aquarium shops!
- EBay USA – Fish section
- EBAY UK – Fish section
- Tropical Fish Finder – UK – Find a shop that has a particular fish in stock.
Advice on how to keep an aquarium tank.
- Beginning Fishkeeping an article on setting up an aquarium
- Aquarium Set Up
- How to set up a planted aquarium – Chuck’s Planted Aquarium.
- Setting Up A Tank, for Dummies – Ottawa Valley Aquarium Society.
Plants that you keep in your tank.
- Age of Aquariums – Aquatic Plants.
- Tropica – Probably the number one supplier of plants in your local shop. Pictures are not that good though.
- Aquarium Fish – Plants and how to look after them.
- Hornwort – The Aquarists favourite plant – How to grow it.
- Algae Types – Types of Algae and how to control it. Really excellent pictures to help you identify what Algae you’ve got.
- The Krib – FAQ on Algae – One of the best sources of information on the Planet.
- Algae – Aquaticscape – excellent guide to identifying algae.
- Chuck’s Planted Aquarium – How to identify problems with your plants.
Information on the various fish you can buy from your local shop.
- Planet Catfish
- Cory Cats
- Puffer Fish
- The Skeptical Aquarist
- About: freshwater Aquarium
- Pet Resources
- The Tropical Tank
Information on the types of frogs you can raise.
- Robyn’s Aquarium Frogs page – Lots of good advice on the aquatic frog.
- FrogLand – All you want to know about Frogs.
Why not try raising freshwater shrimp?
- Pet Shrimp – Lots of species of freshwater shrimp you can have in an Aquarium.
- Daniel Hagan’s Cherry Red Shrimp – USA ordering only.
- Frank’s Aquarium and Freshwater Crustacean Farm – USA – excellent source of information and pictures.
- The Caridina japonica site – all you’d want on this famous shrimp.
- Arbeitsgemeinschaft Wirbellose Tiere der Binnengewässer – Big German Shrimp site.
- Gerd Voss – Well known German collector of freshwater shrimp.
- 1a Wirbelloses – Freshwater invertebrates.
Let’s not forget raising snails.
- The Apple Snail site – Amazingly detailed site on Apple Snails. Top rate.
- Snail Garden – freshwater snails.
- Gastropods – lots of snail shells listed.
Problem solving sites.
- Control Algae Without Adding More Fish.
- The Krib – Dozens of excellent articles by other Aquarists on how to solve various problems.